The Chilli Factory - Setting the World on Fire!
Hot Vietnamese Fish Soup
Serves 4 Print Recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon of Turbo Supercharge (Hot Habanero Paste 300,000 SHU)
- 100 mls of Todd River Dust (Mild Sweet Chilli Sauce SHU 3,200)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 150 g mung bean vermicelli
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stems lemon grass (white part only), finely sliced
- 1.25 litre chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 500 g firm white fish fillets (snapper or blue- eye cod) cut into 3 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (15 g) fresh coriander leaves
- 90 g bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon fresh Vietnamese mint, extra
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, extra
1 Wrap the shrimp paste in foil and place under a hot grill for 1 minute. Remove and set aside until needed.
2 Place the vermicelli in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 3-4 minutes. Rinse under cold water, drain and then cut into 15 cm lengths.
3 Heat the peanut oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until golden. Add the onion, Habanero paste, lemon grass and shrimp paste and cook, stirring, for a further minute. Pour in the stock, fish sauce, rice vinegar, mild sweet chilli sauce, then add the tomato. Bring to the boil, and then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the fish pieces and simmer gently for 3 minutes, or until cooked. Stir in the mint and coriander leaves.
4 Divide the noodles and bean sprouts among four serving bowls and ladle the soup on top. Top with the extra mint and coriander leaves and serve with lemon wedges.