The Chilli Factory - Setting the World on Fire!
Spring Rolls With Sate Sauce
Makes 20 Entrees Print Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of Funnelweb Bite (Hot Sweet Chilli Sauce)
- 4 dried shiitake mushroom
- 80g dried rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 250 g pork mince
- 250 g raw medium prawns, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 carrot, grated
- 8 water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 200 g Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 20 large spring roll wrappers
- Oil to deep-fry
- Serve with Numbat Nibble (Mild Chilli Satay Sauce)
1 Place the mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water. Discard the woody stems and thinly slice the caps. Place the vermicelli in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 6-7 minutes, or until soft and transparent. Drain and cut into 5 cm lengths.
2 Heat the oil in a wok over high heat and swirl to cat. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Add the pork mince and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring to break up any lumps. Add the prawns and cook for 1 minute, or until they just turn pink. Stir in the soy sauce, oyster sauce rice wine, carrot, water chestnuts, spring onion, Chinese cabbage and hot sweet chilli sauce and cook for 2 minutes, or until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the mushrooms and vermicelli.
3 Combine the cornflour and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl until smooth.
4 Place the spring roll wrappers under a damp tea towel. Working with one at the time, place a wrapper under a damp tea towel. Working with one at the time, place a wrapper on the work surface with one corner facing you. Place 2 tablespoons of the filling along the centre of each spring roll wrapper. Brush the edges with the cornflour paste and roll up firmly, tucking in the ends as you go, and sealing with the cornflour paste. Continue, covering the completed rolls with a damp tea towel to prevent them drying out.
5 Fill the wok with one third of oil and heat till 180 c. cook the spring rolls for 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towel and serve with the chilli satay sauce.